INTRODUCTION: HISTORICAL BACKGROUND
- PCEA Zimmerman Church Parish has grown tremendously from an initial 101 members in 1995 during the first service to the current estimated over 5,000 members.
- This growth has posed serious challenges to the leadership of the church. As a result, the Church Board of Management identified the need for a properly coordinated management of the church activities that would take care of emerging spiritual and social welfare of congregation and cater for the rapid growth of the church. The church Strategic Plan 2009 – 2013 identified social programs as a key focus area of evangelism and addressing
- The plan also guided the church mission that emphasizes on the
provision of conducive and enabling environment for the worship of God, and support spiritual, moral, social and physical growth of its members and the society.
- The members of the congregation are guided by five core values namely: commitment to the word of God,
respect to church courts, transparency and accountability, professionalism and
commitment to results and service.
- The strategic plan identified four major development
programs for the church namely Worship and service, Development, Church groups, and Social Programmed.
- The social programmed acts as a platform to promote members economic empowerment,
social needs and community linkages.
- In this regard the Social Programme Oversight
Committee (SPOC) was formed.
SPOC is mandated to develop social policy guidelines in response to social needs of the
parish and to oversee the social programme implementation.
- The policy guidelines help the
implementers of the strategic plan focus on key priority areas with substantive impact and serve the growing membership in a transparent and accountable process.
- The church leadership appreciates the central role the congregation members play and the need to give back to members and community as a corporate responsibility of the church.
- The church welcomes individuals and corporate organizations to partner in this noble task.
- The Church will endeavor to form partnerships on programs that will promote social justice, empower vulnerable groups and empower them economically.
- The church recognises that implementation of such programs will require resources beyond its means and therefore welcomes local and international partnerships.
SOCIAL POLICY GOAL
Enhance Church capacity to fulfill the Great Commission through true service to God and
- Continued support to church members with social needs;
- Support programs that will impact positively on the livelihood of vulnerable groups and members of the Church;
- Link the church with adjacent communities and collaborating institutions to support community programs that promotes justice, accountability and equal opportunity.
A church that is all inclusive where members’ social needs are equitably addressed.
Implementation of strategies and actions that enhance the capacity and opportunities of all members in the congregation and community at large geared towards improvement of their livelihood and wellbeing.